Snow Leopard ate my ports

Alexy Khrabrov deliverable at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 12:26:56 PDT 2009

OK, for the Snow Leopard on top of Leopard case, I went back and did
the following:

-- put back my old /opt/local
-- ran the new 1.8.1 installer, which dropped the new port command and
friends on top if it

Now port installed shows stuff, and they seemed to work as before.  In
fact they did work, at least those I used, under SL, it's just the
port command itself was broken by the upgrade, and now fixed by
install-over.  My question is, do I really need to reinstall all
ports, or this SL on top of L is OK?  Last time, I migrated from
32-bit Leopard to 64-bit one (moving to a new MBP), and then I felt I
had to do it, although 32-bit stuff still worked -- but there was a
presumable advantage of getting thing recompiled under 64-bit gcc and
stuff.  But are there any caveats why one should recompile a 64-bit
Leopard-fathered ports setup after SL upgrade?

Cheers,
Alexy