Why should I use macports?

Mikel King mikel.king at olivent.com
Thu Oct 15 08:28:38 PDT 2009

On Oct 15, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Wendy Bossons wrote:

> I recently transitioned to a new software project, and I am using
> Mac now as a development platform instead of Windows. I keep seeing
> Macports come up as a way to install software, but I don't
> understand what it is and why I might need it.
>
> Can someone explain the purpose of Macports and why I might need it?

Because there are thousands of readily available applications only a
'port install' away. Say you want to install lighttpd + PHP + MySql to
host websites you are developing directly from your laptop so that you
can demo them for clients without the worry of suspect internet
connectivity. The port system will retrieve the source for each port
plus it's dependencies and build it for you.

Obviously there are other ways to do this, but most are not as clean
nor anywhere as flexible.

> ..\Wendy
> Wendy Bossons
> Web Developer