Why should I use macports?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 15 09:32:43 PDT 2009

On Oct 15, 2009, at 10:08, Wendy Bossons wrote:

> I recently transitioned to a new software project, and I am using
> Mac now as a development platform instead of Windows. I keep seeing
> Macports come up as a way to install software, but I don't
> understand what it is and why I might need it.
>
> Can someone explain the purpose of Macports and why I might need it?

As others have said, MacPorts is a package management system, which is
an easy way to install software without having to know the technical
details and without having to know what other software is required;
MacPorts manages it for you. What others have not said is how easy it
is to also remove such software later -- simply "sudo port uninstall"
it. When you install software by hand, often it's not clear where
things have been installed, or how to uninstall it later.