Why should I use macports?

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Oct 16 11:09:59 PDT 2009

This is how problems go...
1) port install foo
2) error
3) email mailing list, get advice
4) port -d install foo
5) email -d log to mailing list
6) profit

Why can't macports always run a debug log, not to stdout, but to an
install.log, that was perhaps rotated, or kept the last install at
least.

If (error)
   ui message: you may want to post your error log to the mailing
list, it is located at /opt/local/var/log/macports/portname-debug.log

Looking at the list archives, those 6 steps are repeated often, this
would save list admins, members, users, etc an entire set of steps,
and get resolution of port install issues solved much faster.
--
Scott
Iphone says hello.