Why should I use macports?

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Oct 16 11:09:59 PDT 2009

This is how problems go...
1) port install foo
2) error
3) email mailing list, get advice
4) port -d install foo
5) email -d log to mailing list
6) profit

Why can't macports always run a debug log, not to stdout, but to an
install.log, that was perhaps rotated, or kept the last install at

If (error)
   ui message: you may want to post your error log to the mailing
list, it is located at /opt/local/var/log/macports/portname-debug.log

Looking at the list archives, those 6 steps are repeated often, this
would save list admins, members, users, etc an entire set of steps,
and get resolution of port install issues solved much faster.
Iphone says hello.

On Oct 16, 2009, at 7:34 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>