Gedit and Gnome X11 Gconf Error

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 21:41:29 PDT 2009

I just installed Gedit after installing all the necessary packages on my
brand new Mac Book Pro. When I enter gedit from the command line it prints a
whole bunch of errors and then launches Gedit. Here are the errors:
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes
are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale
NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Not enough
memory)
Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes
are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale
NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Not enough
memory)
Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes
are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale
NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Not enough
memory)

I did some research and found someone with a similar problem @
http://www.nabble.com/Meld-fails-to-start--complains-about-launchd-not-providing-socket--path-td23618152.html

I executed the following commands from the command line:
sudo launchctl load
-w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
sudo launchctl load
-w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist

then I restarted. But still I get the same errors when I start up Gedit from
the command line.

Any ideas how to fix this?