Gnucash not starting properly- probably gconf & dbus related - SOLVED

David Rowe drowe at roden.myzen.co.uk
Thu Oct 29 15:21:32 PDT 2009

Thanks Ben & Olaf - now I have two solutions!

Ben - I hadn't realised that a bundled .dmg was now available. I
downloaded and installed it and it works just fine. I now rely on
Gnucash for my accounts and a bundled solution is more dependable, so I
will probably stick with it.

however

Olaf - your comments gave me the clue to what I was doing wrong - it was
my mistake:
I got a bit weary with sudo-ing every port command in a long session of
MacPorts maintenance - so I got into the habit of starting with 'sudo
bash' and then working as superuser for the session. (Yes I know the
dangers but I am used to being careful). I had indeed noted the comments
in the port install log about executing the commands to activate the two
startup items. However, as you say, the first item must be activated as
root but the second as user. What I was doing was activating both as
root and presumably the result of that was that the user-mode
application was unable to talk to the root dbus daemon. When I killed
the dbus process and reactivated exactly as specified in the log, then
Gnucash started just fine. After restarting MacOS X, Gnucash still works
OK so presumably the startup items are now right.
PS - It was the X11 version I built.

Thanks to both of you for your help

David Rowe

. . .