chmod error on new shell

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 18 03:38:41 PDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 16:31, TjL wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 16, 2009, at 14:15, TjL wrote:
>>
>>> I installed the newest version to my Dropbox using the source
>>> version,
>>> and it seems to work fine, but whenever I open a new shell I now
>>> get 4
>>> error messages:

[snip]

>> I'm not sure why those errors are happening. I also don't use zsh. By
>> "Dropbox" I assume you mean that the folder /Users/luomat/Dropbox
>> is shared
>> as write-only via file sharing so that others can send you files
>> over the
>> network? If so, why would you install MacPorts inside such a folder?
>
> Nope, that's not the kind of "dropbox" I mean.
>
> My Dropbox as in http://www.getdropbox.com/ as in "I can install
> MacPorts on one of my Macs and have it automatically sync to all of my
> other Macs and not have to worry about having different versions
> installed" :-)

Oh. Well you may be the first person to have tried that, so I guess
now we know it doesn't work so well. :) In any case, it would only
work at all if all your machines have the same version of Mac OS X and
Xcode and have the same processor.

> It has caused some permissions problems. For some reason I had to do
> 'sudo make install' instead of 'make install" and then I ended up with
> a bunch of files owned by root.

There are some permissions issues in MacPorts 1.8.0 when you don't
install as root. Hopefully we'll figure out how to fix those soon.

P.S: Use Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.