OS X 10.6.1: MacPorts 1.8 Wireshark Problems

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com
Tue Sep 29 20:24:39 PDT 2009

On 29 Sep 2009, at 19:57:34, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 07:51:41PM -0700, Merton Campbell Crockett
> said:
>> I use Wireshark constantly to diagnose application and network
>> problems.  I have two Mac Pro systems.  The one at work is a
>> MacPro1,1.  At home, I have a MacPro3,1.
>>
>> After upgrading to OS X 10.6.1, I downloaded MacPorts 1.8 and ran
>> into the problem that everyone seems to have encountered with
>> residual information in /opt/local/....  I removed all of the
>> directories used by MacPorts and re-installed the MacPorts package.
>
> That's not a problem but quite normal, a major OS upgrade (eg
> 10.5-10.6)
> requires a rebuild:
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>

Also, you need to delete the old directories to get rid of directories
used by ncurses and the directories used for docbook.  If you don't
Wireshark will fail to build.

>> The problem that I'm encountering involves Wireshark.  It built
>> successfully on both my home and work systems.  On the MacPro3,1
>> system at home Wireshark runs without problems.
>>
>> On the MacPro1,1 system at work, Wireshark takes anywhere from 30
>> minutes to an hour to load. It spends an inordinate amount of time
>> window, it is unusable.  No menu is displayed when you click on any
>> item in the menu bar.  The close, minimize, and maximize icons are
>> not functional.  You can't click on the links to open any of the
>> files listed in the center of the window.
>
> Most likely the pango issue as seen on ticket #21701:
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21701>

Were this the problem, shouldn't both the MacPro1,1 and MacPro3,1
systems behave the same?  Both report the RANDR error identified in
the ticket.

On the MacPro3,1 system Wireshark loads immediately and is fully
functional.

On the older MacPro1,1 system, I experience the same problems
identified in the ticket.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com