Apple Gcc vs normal Gcc?

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 15:36:42 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
> On 2010-4-6 06:54 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> Apple's patches allow gcc to accept multiple simultaneous arch flags, e.g. "gcc -arch i386 -arch ix86_64" to generate both at the same time. Standard gcc does not have this ability; instead, you have to "gcc -arch i386", then "gcc -arch x86_64", then "lipo" manually. For ports that require a non-Apple gcc compiler, universal builds are probably possible using the muniversal portgroup, which does this build-and-lipo method.
>
> FSF GCC does not accept -arch at all.
>
> - Josh

What are the other differences between apple gcc and normal gcc? For
example, I noticed that Apple's permits objective C exception throwing
by default, while normal requires an explicit flag to turn it in.

The apple Gcc's man page says that garbage collection does not work
with any current apple runtime (10.5.8 system); no such warning is
seen on the normal (4.3) gcc man page. What's the actual state of
garbage collection in 10.5 now?

What is else different? (Other than the V2 vs V3 license)

--
Political and economic blog of a strict constitutionalist
http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.com