gtk with cairo-devel

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 28 14:12:17 PDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 15:43, Mathieu Suen wrote:

> Is there a gtk-devel package or should I use gtk?
>
> I first install cairo-devel and then i install gtk2 but during the installation of gtk2
> I got an error. The package cairo was require but conflict with cairo-devel.

-devel ports in MacPorts aren't like -dev or -devel packages in some other package managers. In other package managers, the binaries and libraries are in the main package, and the -dev or -devel package contains the headers. This is not how things are in MacPorts. In MacPorts, everything is in the main port, which is usually for the latest stable version of the software. And the -devel ports, if they exist, are a complete package of the development versions of the software. So unless you specifically want the latest greatest development version, you should not use the -devel ports. So you should uninstall cairo-devel and install cairo and gtk2.