necessary info

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 28 14:22:22 PDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 13:46, John B Brown wrote:
> On 4/28/10 10:27 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> Is your X11 running? Maybe launchd can't get it started for whatever
>> reason and that causes the hang. Try to launch it manually.
>
> 	I'm confused. According to the install DVDs that came with this iMac, the only way X11 gets in is if I install it from the DVD.

Yes... but you also said you installed XFree86 and Xorg, which are two additional ways X11 gets onto your system.

> 	My screen appears no different after installing X11.

Right, on Mac OS X, X11 is a secondary windowing system you can run when needed.

> How might I determine whether or not X11 is running?

Is X11.app in the dock and open? If yes, it's running. If no, it's not.

> Does X11 install into the root tree locations that are used in Linux? I notice the /etc/X11/ paths are completely symbolic links into /usr/X11/lib.

Apple's X11 provided on the install DVD installs into /usr/X11. The XFree86 port in MacPorts appears to install into the same place. (Note it is not usual for ports to install outside of the MacPorts prefix.) The xorg ports install into the MacPorts prefix.

> 	Is 'launchd' part of the boot system?

Yes. "man launchd" has more.

> 	The brief mention in "Mac OS X Support Essentials v10.6" by Kevin M. White, Apple Certified, says Apple X11 is based on XFree86

Apple X11 was based on XFree86 in Mac OS X 10.4 and earlier, but in Mac OS X 10.5 and later it is based on xorg.

> and X11 can be accessed by opening the X11 interface located at /Applications/Utilities/X11.

Correct. Or, if you installed the xorg MacPorts port, then X11.app is in /Applications/MacPorts.

> It then refers all other questions about X11 to http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/X11.html. Such irrelevant subjects as 'remote ssh', forwarding, tunneling are mentioned there as examples of X11 configurations. Not exactly simple user help.
>
> 	I just tried startx.

It's not expected for you to have to run startx manually. Just open X11.app when you want to use X11.

> X11 would not launch. The error message:
>
> dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
>  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
>  Reason: Incompatible library version: ImageIO requires version 1.0.0 or later, but libTIFF.dylib provides version 0.0.0

You have a libtiff.dylib (or libTIFF.dylib) somewhere that is not built properly.

> 	I've seen that error message before, during compiles that try to link libTIFF.dylib from the Apple default location. How do I overcome poorly integrated Apple libraries?

Apple's libraries are properly integrated but you have destroyed that integration by setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and similar variables.