gv and ghostscript

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Apr 29 03:00:11 PDT 2010

On 2010-04-29 02:37 , John B Brown wrote:
> 	Exactly what in the environment must be cleared? If I set the
> environment as I wish my computer to perform, what about MacPorts gives
> the right to remove the environment I approve for my computing?

Your customized environment would influence the build, which could
result in broken dependencies. To ensure a consistent experience, almost
everything is cleared out except proxy settings.

> [...]
> It's so bad that there are duplicate names for obviously different C
> libraries delivered by Apple, one set into the Xcode system and another
> pair into /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.x.sdk/usr/lib/libc.dylib.

These SDKs are provided in order to cross-build binaries and libraries
for older versions of Mac OS X. Usually you don't need them.

> [...]
> 	I'm confused, aren't you?

No.

> 	I would suggest some changes in the behavior of the Apple version of
> gcc and the Apple version of the gnu compiling system; they should
> comply with normal posix systems rules. Why, pray tell, should Apple
> wish me to remove all my customizations, helpful to my use of my computer?
>
> 	That certainly ain't POSIX!

I don't understand what you are talking about here. Looking for headers
and libraries in /usr/local is normal gcc behavior on any system if it
has been compiled for /usr. Just that other systems don't care that much
about it as they are not compiling for a different prefix.

Also, complaints about Apple provided software should directly go to
them, not to us :-)

Rainer