.app vs. Ports

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 11:48:08 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> Basically I'd say using MacPorts lets you easily install software, keep it updated, and uninstall it. Meeting those needs without using MacPorts can be very easy for some projects (like those that offer Mac disk images with drag-install apps that auto-update), or can be very difficult for others (and for those, using MacPorts can be a great help).

Yep.  I find Macports to be great for things that come with installers
that put a bunch of stuff in /usr/local and/or a bunch of other
locations.  How can I get rid of that stuff if I decide I don't want
it anymore and I don't know where it all went?  Macports doesn't have
this problem.  .apps aren't so annoying though, so I don't mind having
some of them.  Things like the gimp-app port give you a combination,
with a macports installed port and a fancy icon to click on that
points to it.

Scott