mac port Uninstall -- Unable to uninstall/deactive

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 10 11:30:37 PST 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 04:09, kevin beckford wrote:

>> we tell people repeatedly that using MacPorts simultaneously with Fink, or with software >installed in /usr/local (which includes Homebrew), will cause them grief as the software begins >to mingle in unpredictable and undesirable ways, and that users should pick a single package >manager and uninstall the other(s).
>
> Sorry for the multi posts, but /usr/local is for site local software.
> if I want say... vim with lua support i'll build it in /usr/local.  If
> macports has a problem with software I install on my own, that's  a
> bug, unless I link with -L/opt/local/lib or something.

Yes, there is a problem with installing software manually (or using Homebrew) in /usr/local while also wanting to use MacPorts. This is because the gcc compiler will automatically find things there, irrespective of what's set with -L or -I. This has been discussed many times on the list before; you can probably find more about this situation in the list archives if you're interested. If anybody knows a way we can change MacPorts base to avoid this we are all ears, but to my knowledge we do not so far know how to do this, therefore the only thing we can say is that we do not support using MacPorts while there are things in /usr/local.

See also http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#defaultprefix

> Homebrew is in error, creating a package manager to install into
> /usr/local.  The world begins to treat users systems as communal
> property.  They are not.

Then again, it does avoid the problem with /usr/local described above by simply usurping /usr/local.