David Gentry localbusinesswebsites at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 20 14:06:29 PST 2010

Ryan,

Thanks very much for responding.  I followed your directions but I can't decide if the server is running or not, and I have been using recommended commands from the online mysql manual.

Also:

1. I ran mysql_install_db, and I received the following:

"DAVID:~ davidgentry$ /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_install_db ; exit;

FATAL ERROR: Could not find mysqld

The following directories were searched:

    /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/libexec
    /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/sbin
    /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/bin

If you compiled from source, you need to run 'make install' to
copy the software into the correct location ready for operation.

If you are using a binary release, you must either be at the top
level of the extracted archive, or pass the --basedir option
pointing to that location.

logout"

Note: I installed from a downloaded dmg file.  I am going to look at the online mysql manual.  I think I read somewhere that I can provide a path to mysqld.  Do you have any advice?  What does this part of the above message mean to me: "If you compiled from source, you need to run 'make install' to copy the software into the correct location ready for operation."?

2. I used my iMac's Network Utility to do a port scan after installing mysql5 and mysql5.server, and the port scan for 127.0.0.1 and for localhost did not reveal port 3306.  Using my Terminal, I determined that mysql5 and mysql5.server are both active.  Help!  Could this problem be related to number 1 above?

David

On Dec 19, 2010, at 10:45 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Dec 19, 2010, at 18:12, dgentry at localbusinesswebsites.com wrote:

> I updated my MacPorts version, and I installed the latest community version of Mysql.
>
> I received the following message when I updated MacPorts:
>
> "A startup item has been generated that will aid in starting mysql5-server with launchd.  It is disabled by default.  Execute the following command to start it, and to cause it to launch at startup:
>
> sudo port load mysql5-server"
>
> When I executed the command, I received the attached message.
>
> Will someone please help me?  I will report a bug, if necessary.<mysql error report.tiff>

The message in the attached screenshot reads "Error: Target org.macports.load returned: org.macports.mysql5: Already loaded". So there is no error, the mysql5-server plist is already loaded and the server should already be running. If you want to restart the mysqld server, you can "sudo port unload mysql5-server" and then, after a few moments, "sudo port load mysql5-server" again.

In the future, please just supply the text of the error messages, not an image of them.

David J. Gentry
President
Good Things -- Small Packages, LLC
205-637-8000