Apache2 Won't Start on Startup

Rob Wilkerson rob at robwilkerson.org
Thu Feb 4 12:57:52 PST 2010

Hey guys -

I'm trying to share a httpd.conf file across two Macs via Dropbox
(with symlinks in each Mac's /opt/local/apache2/conf/ directory).
Similarly, I store virtual host conf files individually and include
them in my main httpd.conf:

Include "${HOME}/Dropbox/Application Support/apache/conf.d.osx/*.conf"
Include "${HOME}/Library/Application Support/MacPorts/apache/conf.d/*.conf"

Unfortunately, my username on each Mac is different (one is a work
machine that I can't change) which is why I'm using the ${HOME}
environment variable to tell Apache where to find the conf files. As
far as I can tell, that's the root of this problem. Even though the
LaunchDaemon is loaded, Apache won't start when I boot up. The system
log reports that:

Feb  4 07:05:01 robwilkerson org.macports.apache2[55]: httpd: Syntax
error on line 512 of /opt/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf: Include
directory '/opt/local/apache2/${HOME}/Dropbox/Application
Support/apache/conf.d.osx' not found

I realize that I could move these conf files out of my home directory,
but I'd like to keep everything nicely consolidated in there if at all
possible.

This isn't a problem with MacPorts or its Apache2 install, of course,
but I'm hoping that someone here might be able to offer a solution
that allows me to work the same configuration, but still start when I
boot up.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Rob Wilkerson