Apache2 Won't Start on Startup

Dan Poirier poirier at pobox.com
Fri Feb 5 05:13:59 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb  5, 2010, at 05:36:58 AM, Rob Wilkerson <rob at robwilkerson.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> You may have to settle for this:
>>
>> Include "/Users/*/Dropbox/Application Support/apache/conf.d.osx/*.conf"
>> Include "/Users/*/Library/Application Support/MacPorts/apache/conf.d/*.conf"
>>
>> This would include conf files in *every* user's home directory in that location. But if you're the only person using these computers (the only user account on these computers, or the only user which has conf files in that location) then it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work:
>
> httpd: Syntax error on line 512 of /opt/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Wildcard patterns not allowed in Include /Users/*/Dropbox/Application
> Support/apache/conf.d.osx/*.conf

Wildcards are only supported in the final component of the path, not in
the directory name.  Which is not documented, and the error message is
lousy; I'll try to fix that when I get a chance.

Mac OS X and many Linux distributions take advantage of wildcards in
Apache config files, so it definitely works.  But might not be useful
here.

Dan