Apache2 php error logging

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Feb 7 05:52:39 PST 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, at 3:33 AM, Jasper Frumau <jasperfrumau at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Errors solved. FTP layer in Joomla's configuration.php had to be
> deactivated as I have no FTP running on my Server. What FTP program
> do you guys recommend?

That very much depends on your needs. I'm always surprised by the
amount of FireFox users that use an FTP plugin in browser. Or,
FileZilla, an open desktop FTP client.

On Mac I personally use Interarchy. I feel it curreny is the best of
the offerings. A quick breakdown:

Mimics the Finder, no left/right local/remote files methodology.

In my tests, Interarchy is the fastest at moving data up and down,
with reliable resume, if the remote supports it. From plain scp on the
command line or unencrypted FTP on the command line, Interarchy is
fast.  At home, GB ether to GB (Same LAN), I've been disk bound before
network bound.

This can cause issues as there is no max upload speed setting. I
saturate my outbound and can't do anything else.  "throttled", ipfw,
or your router can help solve that.

Supports the most protocols, I believe. FTP, ssh, FTP w/ SSL/TLS,
Amazon S3, Dav, AFP, http, SFTP, anything you want to connect to, you
can.

One downside is all settings apply to all hosts. If one server needs
passive and another does not, you are stuck with one or the other for
that session. I find very few Mac FTP clients allow per host settings
though.

Luckily, you can edit a preference file and set every preference to a
specific host, solving this problem, but there is no GUI for this.

You can mount any connection as a desktop viewable volume. It's as if
your local, not slow, beachball the finder, like OS X does.

Interarchy is simple and clean yet highly powerful.  If you know how
to manipulate files and directories in the finder, you already know
how to use Interarchy.

Of course, with the above you get scheduling of up/down. "Droplets"
where you save a "file" that is preconfigured to send a file wherever
you like. Keychain integration, solid transfers monitor, growl
support, excellent transcript showing raw commands...

On the downside, version 9 saw the removal of it's built in traffic
watcher, which was an excellent front end to tcpdump like output. It
was to be spawned into a new standalone free product which has never
materialized. Though you can run older versions simultaneously.

It's been a long wait for version 10, and version 9 saw, I believe
only one update since release. Not enough activity and zero feature
updates during a versions lifecycle never sat well with me. It is
stable and does what was advertised, but I would have liked to have
seen a few bones thrown my way in the last 2 years.

This obviously is paid software. On the MacPorts side, I believe you
will find mostly CLI apps, or an occasional X11 app.  Depending on
your needs, this may work for you, and it's always a good idea to have
a CLI FTP handy for debugging new connections.

Next paid contender would be Panic's Transmit. Transmit is the FTP app
with all the shine and polish as usual.

Transmit supports near all protocols as well. However, the showstopper
for me is the left/right window of local/remote files. You can sort of
toggle that off, but it's still a bit strange feeling.

I've heard rumors of a pretty substancial version update release due
soon. Unison (Panic's Usenet Reader) shipped, I bet Transmit is next.

For paid apps, those are the only two I reccomend.

On the free side is Cyberduck. In my opinion, pretty darn close to
Transmit.  Looking over the website, I would say the app progressed
quickly and looks pretty good.

Oh. There is also Fetch, probably the first OS 9 FTP client on the
scene. I'm pretty sure the developer won the million bucks on Who
Wants To Be A Millionaire. I don't know the state of Fetch, though I
do know had I won a million I may be inclined to take a long break
from my app as well. :)

I think that leaves FileZilla Desktop and FireFTP extension for
FireFox. Look at some screenshots, for lite use, I suppose. Daily use,
I could not see myself pulling it off with those apps.

If you are pure ssh with newer FTP servers to connect to... Check out
MacFuse to allow attaching remote connections to the local file
system. Just like Interarchy does, but that is all it does.

There's a ton of choice, all with fully functioning demos or open/
free. Download a few and see what suits you. I'm going to strongly
look into the next release of Transmit, in the meantime, Interarchy is
the app I see and use every day.

--
Scott
(Sent from a mobile device)