unable to selfupdate port and install any packages on Snow Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 13 15:55:08 PST 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 20:26, Shashwat Anand wrote:

> I installed macports-1.8.2 from dmg
> since rsync does not play well with my proxy, I followed instructions from here: http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SyncingWithSVN
> I installed the initial copy.
> The last two lines of the file /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
> #      rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]
> file:////opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/ [default]
>
> Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:dports l0nwlf$ pwd
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports
> Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:dports l0nwlf$ ls
> PortIndex       databases       gnome           net             security
> PortIndex.quick devel           gnustep         news            shells
> _resources      editors         graphics        office          sysutils
> aqua            emulators       irc             palm            tex
> archivers       erlang          java            perl            textproc
> audio           finance         kde             php             www
> benchmarks      fuse            lang            print           x11
> cad             games           mail            python          xfce
> comms           genealogy       math            ruby            zope
> cross           gis             multimedia      science
>
> Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:dports l0nwlf$ sudo port -d sync
> Password:
> DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
> Synchronizing local ports tree from file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/
> DEBUG: /usr/bin/svn update --non-interactive /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports
> DEBUG: changing euid/egid - current euid: 0 - current egid: 0
> At revision 63709.
>
> Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:dports l0nwlf$ sudo port -v selfupdate
> Password:
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> Synchronizing local ports tree from file:////opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/
> U    /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/audio/portmidi/Portfile
> Updated to revision 63709.
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-37.3/rsync/clientserver.c(105) [receiver=2.6.9]
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error synchronizing MacPorts sources: shell command "/usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/base/ /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base" returned error 10
>
> Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:dports l0nwlf$ sudo port install
> Can't map the URL 'file://.' to a port description file ("Could not find Portfile in /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports").
> Please verify that the directory and portfile syntax are correct.
> [...]

selfupdate does two things: updates your portfiles and updates MacPorts base. Portfiles can be updated using a number of different network protocols; you've elected to use a Subversion working copy so your portfiles will be updated from our Subversion http server. Updating base, on the other hand, happens exclusively via rsync. Since you've said rsync doesn't work on your network, you cannot use selfupdate to update base. You will have to manually install new versions of base as they are released. You can do so using the Mac OS X installer packages on dmg, or by building from source, whichever you prefer. Since you cannot use selfupdate to update base, you may want to instead use "sudo port sync" to update your portfiles.

You install ports as normal: sudo port install portname. The errors you encountered above are simply explained: "sudo port install" correctly informed you that you were not in the directory of a port, therefore there was nothing to install. And "sudo port install bpython" correctly informed you there is no port called "bpython". "port search bpython" shows that you may be looking for the port called "py26-bpython".