Replacing Mac OS Apache with macports Apache

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sat Feb 13 21:25:42 PST 2010

On Feb 13, 2010, at 8:13 PM, Kirk Stork <kastork at nps.edu> wrote:

> I have been scratching my head as to how to integrate MacPorts into
> an OS X Server set up.  This helps a bit, although there are still
> questions in my mind about all the other services that come with OS
> X Server.

Any specific questions? I've gotten pretty deep with MacPorts on OS X
Server. What Ryan stated to you all pertains to OS X Client. Server is
layed out and controlled different.

For example, while you may find you can turn off Apache in the Sharing
Pane, that is not how you would ideally approach it in OSX Server.
Use Admin Tools instead.

With MacPorts, you will have to get used to almost never touching the
Server Admin Tools. Sure, for iChat Server, or AFP, or Mobile Homes
etc, you will.  But if for example you install Postfix, steer very
clear of the mail server controls in Server Admin.  The second that
thing grabs a port like 110, 25, 587 or others, things will get
confusing.

I largely have moved all my software to MacPorts, aside from
CalendarServer. I would say I actively try to use MacPorts over and
above any component in Mac OS X Server.

You will eventually learn this as valuable when an Apple Software
Update breaks their own server software or there is a bug in for
example php.

This happened to me, and php was patched and ready in a few hours from
discovery (via MacPorts). I had my server back running perfectly at
one command while everyone else was trying to restore from backups, or
patching with a file from a semi arbitrary source. Then waiting on
Apple to officially release a patch (months), hoping it does not
colide with the interim patch, or re-breaking back to Apples bad spot
and Software Updating from there.

It can be messy, MacPorts makes it clean and tends to move at a server
admins pace.

I never touch Admin Tools aside from monitoring things like uptime, I/
O usage on CPU and drive and whatever other pretty charts it gives.
Raid management is nice.

It's a perfectly great combo of software. It may even show you how
little difference there is in Apples "Server" than their plain
"Client". Now, don't bring up what you've done on the Mac OS X Server
Mailing List, sometimes there are sharks in those waters :)

The only warning I can give you is with CalendarServer, which is also
a MacOS Forge project like MacPorts. Apples CalendarServer is
apparently the same kit. Even Apples official CalendarServer is still
in infancy and causes some headaches to users.

The MacPorts version, while the same, does not have the GUI based
controls to it obviously. Without those, it's very hard, or was for
me, to get working. I opted for using the one built into OS X Server.

It's more tightly integrated with OD and AD, and in general, just
simpler in this one case. With everthing else, I do try to forget my
OS came with a serial number, and treat it as if it were the vanilla
version.

(Sent from a mobile device)