Port Log file locations [was Re: Replacing Mac OS Apache with macports Apache]

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Feb 14 19:20:58 PST 2010

As usual, thanks for your other answers...

On Feb 14, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2010, at 17:11, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> Right now with my MySql 5 server install I have hostname.err in /opt/local/var/db/mysql/localhost.err
>>
>> I have an empty mysql5 dir in /opt/local/var/log/mysql
>> * should that be mysql5?
>
> The mysql5-server port creates the directory /opt/local/var/log/mysql5 for you. It does not do anything with a directory /opt/local/var/log/mysql.

Right you are, that was a mistake on my part.  I was looking in the wrong spot.

>> MySql seems a bit of a strange case, and I'm certain there are other similar cases. I've never paid attention on Linux to how it is done. Does MySql have a guideline?
>
> I don't know. I don't think it matters where you put things on your server, as long as you know where they are.

I tend to agree, but I would like to follow some form of standard conventions when working on/making Portfiles. I may know about /opt/local/man but I probably should not put my Apache error_log there :)

Thanks Ryan