Which package to install if I want to have the man page for strdup?

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Fri Jan 1 16:13:31 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:56:33AM +1100, Joshua Root said:
> On 2010-1-2 10:40 , Peng Yu wrote:
> > I don't have manpage for strdup. Could somebody let me know which
> > package I should install?
>
> Man pages are generally installed by the same port as the software they
> document, but of course we don't have a libc port. Mac OS X ships with a
> strdup man page AFAICT, but if I'm mistaken, the other candidate would
> be Xcode Tools.

pkgutil says it's part of the BSD package on 10.6 at least:

$ pkgutil --file-info /usr/share/man/man3/strdup.3.gz
volume: /
path: /usr/share/man/man3/strdup.3.gz

pkgid: com.apple.pkg.BSD
pkg-version: 10.6.0.1.1.1249291854
install-time: 1252978950
uid: 0
gid: 0
mode: 444

IIRC, BSD is always installed these days, but was optional sometime back...

Bryan