Unable to install Berkeley DB v6: conflicting install ... how??

Frederick C. Lee frederick.c.lee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 13:12:38 PST 2010

Greetings:
     I'm attempting to install gtk2 which depends on db46; which bombed.
So I've tried to explicitly install db46 confirm:

[Users/Ric] > install -v -c db46
--->  Computing dependencies for db46
--->  Extracting db46
Error: You have a conflicting install of Berkeley DB in /usr/local, please
move it aside before building db46
Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: Berkeley DB in /usr/local is in
the way
Goodbye

I had manually removed the Berkeley DB from /usr/local:

[/Users/Ric]ls /usr/local
ActivePerl-5.8/          httpd-2.2.6/
 mysql-5.1.22-rc-osx10.4-i686/
CPAN-1.9203/           httpd-2.2.6.tar.gz                perl/
apache2/                   include/                             php5/
bin/                           info/                                  share/
git/                            lib/                                   src/
graphviz-2.14/            libexec/
 svn_installer_backup/
hermes/                     man/

--------

But every time I try to install db46, MacPorts always says db46 is blocking
it from within /usr/local.
But as you can see, it's not there!

How can I get MacPorts to install db46 & continue with installing gtk2?

Ric.