Problem Installing Macports and Tsocks on OS-X 10.6.2

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 17 09:42:45 PST 2010

On Jan 17, 2010, at 09:41, Caron Schaller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems installing Macports and Tsocks on my Snow Leopard.

Caron,

Welcome to MacPorts. I'm sorry you've had some difficulty. We'll try to help you.

First, this is not a management issue. For help using MacPorts, you should write to the macports-users mailing list, which I am Cc'ing on this reply. Let's continue any further discussion there. You'll need to subscribe first, which you can do here:

> This is what you require:
>
> b00mc1ap:~ caron_schaller$ port -d
> MacPorts 1.8.2
> Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
> [Users/caron_schaller] >
>
> and
>
> b00mc1ap:~ caron_schaller$ port -v
> MacPorts 1.8.2
> Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
> [Users/caron_schaller] >

While it's good to know you're using the latest MacPorts, 1.8.2, the above doesn't tell us any more than that.

> The big problem is that I can't find a way to install Tsocks since it does not find the first step directory "cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/tsocks
>

> Here is all the information I posted on Apple and got no answer to:
>
> Hi,
> I am having trouble installing Darwinports/Macports and Tsocks on my Snow Leopard.
>
> I got the downloads here:
> http://tsocks.d*****p****.com/
> http://d*****p****.com/
>
> I used the binary installer to install darwinports/macports but it did not create any of the directories required to install Tsocks. The Tsocks installation guide is here: http://tsocks.darwinports.com/
>
> This command does not work: cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/tsocks, when I type it in.

The web site you refer to above is not affiliated with the MacPorts (formerly DarwinPorts) project and we have no influence over the incorrect instructions shown there. I also have to point out that any donations you may have made to that site do not benefit the MacPorts project. I have censored the address in my quote above because we don't want to give them any further traffic. For more information on this unfortunate situation, please see:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/DarwinPorts

The only official site for information about MacPorts is:

http://www.macports.org/

> After that I looked for another tutorial of installing macports or darwinports. I used this:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=720035
>
> It works fine and after "sudo make install" it even says "Congratulations, you have installed Macports".

I'm glad you got it working. The really easy way to install MacPorts, though, is to use the installer and instructions on our web site:

http://www.macports.org/install.php

We also have an extensive guide with more information:

http://guide.macports.org/

And lots more in the wiki:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/

> After that I try to make it do "sudo port -v selfupdate" and try "sudo /opt/local/bin/port -v selfupdate" but both times it gives me this:
> Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
> ---> Updating the ports tree
> Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Connection refused (61)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-
> 37.3/rsync/clientserver.c(105) http://receiver=2.6.9
> shell command "/usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports" returned error 10
> Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the ports tree: Synchronization of 1
> source(s) failed
> What am I doing wrong??? I didn't even get to the Tsocks installation and I am already stuck. Please help!
>
> Also:
> b00mc1ap:MacPorts-1.8.2 name$ cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/tsocks
> -bash: cd: /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/tsocks: No such file or directory
>
> This is what it says even after I attempted to install MacPorts both with the binary installer on the website and by source on the website on http://www.macports.org/install.php
>

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Caron Schaller
>

> P.S. I tried the selfupdate again and it worked just fine. The only thing that's wrong now is the Tsocks installation

Maybe there was a temporary network issue preventing you from accessing our rsync server for the selfupdate the first time you tried. I'm glad you got it working the second time.

As to installing tsocks, all you have to do is type:

sudo port install tsocks

You don't need to be in any particular directory to do so.

If you need further help, please don't hesitate to write to macports-users.

-Ryan Schmidt, for the MacPorts project