New install, how should I set my macports.conf

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sat Jan 23 14:49:55 PST 2010

On Jan 23, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> I advocated putting +universal in variants.conf on Snow Leopard and
> up. But then I tried it out myself and found too many ports that
> fail when built universal for x86_64/i386. Therefore I cannot
> advocate this change at this time. It would cause too much confusion
> for users.

If Apache2, MySql5, php5 plus ahandful if common modules used fir
local dev is my main goal.

A few other ports like mtr, and some perl foo here and there, how do
you feel life will be for me with +universal?

In the past you said you didnot advocate building with intention of
sharing binaries across machines. Understood. That being the case, why
bother with any of this, just default to +universal, if it fails,
clean and -universal. Is that correct?

Thanks.

  --
Scott