Scribe From Facebook

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 27 18:02:52 PST 2010

On Jan 27, 2010, at 19:44, Andrew Milkowski wrote:

>  correct (Unix off-shell build that I adapted from CentOs for Mac, certainly willing to give a shot, (all these 3 projects hadoop, thrift and scribe, scribe to less extent are in active development)
> but given large community of Unix out there and the potential for getting this technology more "visible" its a good project!
>
> One snag is that I had never build a port before! and here actually 4 different ports are required! hadoop, thrift, facebook thrift contrib (fb303), and scribe
>
> Also read on cloudera blog , that they might release .dmg (and maybe port) for their incarnation of hadoop
>
> I understand this is a Mac port forum, and will be reading posts actively (mac ports is basic must for Mac user/developer:), I have responded to one Mac user that couldnt find available port, so this is a "workaround":)
>
> Ryan, also If you have any good instruction on basics of port construction, I will appreciate much!

For advice on building portfiles, I recommend you read the guide

http://guide.macports.org/

The wiki

http://trac.macports.org/wiki

In particular the portfile recipes

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes

And just read through existing portfiles to see how things are done.

P.S: Remember to Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.