Trouble with Apache2 install

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Jul 1 10:18:38 PDT 2010

On Jun 30, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Bill Christensen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Apache2 install on a clean install of 10.6.4...
>>
>> I'm on a temporary IP address, as this setup will be taking over for a server already in production.
>>
>> http://127.0.0.1 and http://localhost return "can't establish connection".
>>
>> On attempting  ./apachectl -k restart  i'm getting:
>>
>> httpd: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for 103.greenbuilder.com
>> httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
>> httpd not running, trying to start
>>
>> And still "can't establish connection".
>
> What is the result of:
> `which -a apachectl`
>
> I am assuming you were cd'd into the "/opt/local/apache2/bin" directory?
>
> Have you tried the same command with sudo?  Or were you already escalated when running it?

For anyone out there experiencing this issue, you will solve it by making certain you have an A record for whatever the hostname is of your PTR.  If you have IP of 123.123.123.123 which returns in dig -x 123.123.123.123 as foo.example.com you should be able to get an IP of 123.123.123.123 when you run dig A 123.123.123.123.  This seems to be the process that Apache does on startup.

It could also be related to setting the ServerName value in httpd.conf, though I am not 100% certain that is what solved this issue as the apr_sockaddr_info_get() is the only failure, and the "Could not reliably determine the server's...." is a non critical error that does not prevent boot of Apache2.