ticket#25375 couchdb (rookie here)

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Jul 2 00:32:50 PDT 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 12:02 AM, Scott Webster wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Daniel Terreros
> <daniel.terreros at gmail.com> wrote:
>> but when I go down the port path, I see no "files directory" and the patch
>> itself wants to be placed in
>>

> "port dir couchdb" gives you the location of the Portfile.  For me it is:
>
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/databases/couchdb
>
> This is where you want to make a files directory and put that patch
> file into it.  So in the end, the above directory should contain both
> the Portfile and a files directory, which you will probably have to
> create.  Inside the files directory will be the patch file.

* Another Scott here...

Won't that get written over possibly on the next `port upgrade` is ran?

For the OP (Daniel T.)
When I have had to go down this road I would set up my own local repository.

    http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories

This was one of the very first things I did when I first came to MacPorts.  I was pretty rookie myself, and still am :) so this could be totally off base since I have not been following this thread too closely.

Whenever I have had to apply a patch or use other files, I work in ~/macports, which is where I decided I was going to setup my local repository.  I then create the correct sub directory for the category, in this case, 'databases' and within that I would either make the 'counddb' directory and the 'files' directory within ( ~/macports/databases/counddb/files ), or, if it was a modification of an existing port, I would use `port dir portname` to locate the orginal port, and copy it into my local repository.