Problem with macports install, any help greatly appreciated

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 11 06:05:52 PDT 2010

On Jun 11, 2010, at 08:01, John Essam wrote:

> Many thanks for your speedy reply, greatly appreciated.
>
> I have now downloaded Xcode version 3.1.4 thanks to your help. I also noted that Macports version 1.9.0 is the version that I have installed on my laptop.
>
> Could you please tel me where to go from here. I don't want to do anything until I hear from you incase I stuff it up. As I understand it so far we always use the terminal located in / Aplications/Utilities.

Ok, well now that you have the latest Xcode, you can install what you want. For example, open Terminal and type

sudo port install gimp

gimp has many many dependencies and it will take many many hours to build this, but hopefully it will complete without errors. If it stops with an error somewhere along the way that you're unsure how to resolve, let us know what it says.

P.S: Use Reply All (instead of Reply) so this discussion stays on the mailing list so others can provide input too.