ImageMagick and OpenMP (was Re: Adding configure options when installing a port)

Stephen Langer stephen.langer at nist.gov
Fri Jun 18 07:13:53 PDT 2010

On Jun 17, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Stephen Langer wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Scott Webster wrote:

>>> Users are expected to read the output of "port variants" to decide if they might want to use any of those variants...
>>>

>> Sure... but:
>>
>> a) Lots of people probably don't do that, perhaps particularly for
>> "common" ports like ImageMagick, or if it is installed as a
>> dependency.
>>
>> b) Lots of people would not understand that they likely want openmp enabled.
>>
>> c) Couldn't this apply almost as well to the people who want openmp
>> disabled too?  In Stephen's case his software is not distributed via
>> macports.  Is there software in macports that breaks with openmp
>> enabled here?  If so, it would be nice for macports to recognize this
>> and tell them to use the no-openmp variant, but #126 :(
>>
>> Anyway, this is just the way I see it.
>

> I don't know if there are other packages in macports that would break.  I would like to be able to distribute our program from macports, but that's not going to happen soon.  In the meantime, telling our users to install the no-openmp variant of imagemagick would be ok with us.
>
> I'll see if I can get the ImageMagick folks to comment on turning openmp on and off at runtime.

I asked about this issue on the ImageMagick board.  They seem to understand the problem, and aren't going to do anything about it until the OpenMP standard specifies how it should interact with threads.

 -- Steve

--
-- stephen.langer at nist.gov                    Tel: (301) 975-5423 --
-- http://math.nist.gov/mcsd/Staff/SLanger/   Fax: (301) 975-3553 --

-- "I don't think this will work.  That's why it's science."      --
--                     Naomi Langer (age 6),  17 Feb 2003         --