[macports-mgr] USB IP Port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 5 14:37:39 PDT 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 11:04, Leo Brown wrote:

> I didn't want to create a ticket if that wasn't the process, so I hope you don't mind me contacting you.
>
> I've seen this amazing project on sourceforge:
>
>    http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbip
>
> It's scheduled to be included in Linux kernel, too.
>
> I am not too familiar yet with OS X architecture, but I would be willing to provide all support, testing, etc to the creation of this port if it is possible.
>
> I do have a user on your Trac installation, it's leo at ipotesi.co.uk - in case you want to add me to a ticket (so far I've only been involved in one change).

Leo, this is not a management issue, so you should be writing to macports-users instead, where I am sending this reply. Please reply there; to do so, you must subscribe to that list first.

http://www.macports.org/contact.php#Lists

A prerequisite for creating a MacPorts port of any software would be that the software already builds on Mac OS X. Does it? My guess is it does not.

The readme included with the software says "USB/IP needs both kernel drivers and userland utilities" and they talk about Linux 2.6 kernel compatibility on the web site. The Linux kernel is totally different from the Mach kernel in Mac OS X, so I doubt those Linux kernel drivers can be used on Mac OS X.