Proper way to clean up dependencies?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri May 21 14:12:27 PDT 2010

On 2010-5-22 04:27 , Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
> I'd like to know what the proper, intended way to clean up dependencies is.
>
> Specifically, I started to install the new subversion. When I realized
> that it had other dependencies, I hit ctrl-C, checked them out, saw
> some important ones, and tried to reinstall as +universal. (I don't
> need svn as universal, but I  do need it's dependencies.)
>
> This failed; the first dependency had been fetched, and started
> configuration as non-universal. Having seen this before, I ran port
> clean.
>
> Running port clean on the main port does not clean the dependencies.
> That was a surprise.
>
> I would like to know the proper, intended way to clean a port
> completely -- including all dependencies -- to reinstall port X when
> it failed somewhere in one of the subports.

In 1.9, you can use the new rdepof selector:
sudo port clean rdepof:subversion

Pre-1.9, you can use port-rdeps [1]:
./port-rdeps -r subversion | tail -n +2 | sudo xargs port clean

Note that only the dependency that actually didn't finish installing
should need to be cleaned (if you haven't turned autoclean off).

- Josh

[1] http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/contrib/port-rdeps/