Trying to install MAMP on new machine and having problems

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 18 20:16:58 PST 2010

On Nov 18, 2010, at 22:07, Ali A Samii wrote:

> Hi, don't know if anyone else has had a chance to read this over the past 24 hours since I sent the previous reply, but still hoping to get a response, so I am sending it again.
>
> Hi:
>
> The attached zip contains copies of my conf files.
>
> Their paths are as follows:
>
> /private/etc/hosts
> /opt/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf
> /opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf
>
> Path to where I want my document root and all sites defined in the hosts and httpd-vhosts.conf to be located:
>
> /Volumes/External_Storage/www
>
> <confs.zip>
>
> Not sure why it's not working, so any help would be appreciated.

I did receive your message but did not immediately see what was wrong in the configuration.

And just to clarify what the problems are:

> On 12 Nov, 2010, at 02:02 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Nov 11, 2010, at 16:39, Ali A Samii wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to install MacPorts MAMP on a new machine and I'm encountering a problem.
>>>
>>> I want to have the document root be located on an external drive.
>>>
>>> I have edited httpd.conf, httpd-vhosts.conf, and /etc/hosts
>>>
>>> When I restart apache, I get no errors.
>>> When I go to http://localhost/ I get the standard "It Works" message.

And this is ok, right? This is what you would expect to see here?

>>> When I point my browser to a local site that I have defined in hosts and httpd-vhosts.conf, it works.

Ok.

>>> However, when I try to access http://localhost/phpinfo.php or http://localhost/phpmyadmin I get 404 Errors.

And you expect to see your phpinfo.php file served, and to be able to access phpmyadmin this way, yes? And the phpinfo.php file is located on disk at /Volumes/External_Storage/www/phpinfo.php, yes? Is the phpmyadmin directory also located directly in /Volumes/External_Storage/www? What does the Apache error log say when you receive the error messages in the browser?

>>> I defined a Virtual Host for phpmyadxmin using the same syntax so I could just type pma and the browser would point to phpmyadmin, and instead of a 404 error, I get the "It Work's" message.

And you instead expected to see the contents of the phpmyadmin web application, yes?

This phpmyadmin vhost you mentioned was not included in the files you sent so I cannot see how you set it up.