findutils +with_default_names variant gone?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 27 16:48:06 PST 2010

On Nov 27, 2010, at 14:30, Richard Cobbe wrote:

> The most recent update of the findutils package (@4.4.2_1) removed the
> with_default_names variant.  I'm not yet going to argue that it should be
> restored, but I thought I'd ask if there was a particular reason for this
> omission.
>
> On a related note, I've got a script at /opt/local/etc/cron.daily/updatedb
> that runs updatedb (well, gupdatedb now) daily to regenerate the (g)locate
> database.  I honestly can't remember: did I write this script myself, or
> did some port create it during installation?  The "port provides" command
> says it's not part of any package, which suggests I created it myself and
> forgot about it.  Before I file a bug against this for the broken
> executable name, I thought I'd check.

At long last, 15 months after we decided we needed to do it, the with_default_names variant was deleted from all ports that had it and it is not coming back. It was a great big problem because using it meant that Mac OS X's BSD versions of these utilities were replaced with GNU versions of the utilities, which behaved differently in some important cases, causing many ports to fail to install in a variety of exciting ways that we got tired of fielding tickets about.

The ports in question have been modified to install unprefixed symlinks into /opt/local/libexec/gnubin, so if you would like the GNU versions of these utilities available in your terminal without typing the "g" prefix, add /opt/local/libexec/gnubin to your shell's PATH. Or if you'd like them available in your scripts, include that in the PATH within the script.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/20748

I don't have any /opt/local/etc/cron.daily directory on my system. I would guess you set this up yourself.