port post install notes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 4 13:35:49 PDT 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 15:29, infrabit at infrabit.net wrote:

> Related to this, how do you display the installed date for all the ports? I
> don't mind having to parse a log file either so I can make sure I haven't
> missed any notes.

There isn't a command to print that, that I know of. You can check the dates of the files in the directory the port installed into, for example:

$ ls -l /opt/local/var/macports/software/zlib
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Sep  3 21:47 1.2.5_0+universal
$

Ah, I installed zlib 1.2.5_0+universal on September 3.

This only works if you use image mode (which is the default); if you use direct mode (see macports.conf) then these directories won't exist and files will be directly installed into the prefix.

Another choice might be to look into the SQLite database that MacPorts uses as a registry; I believe it records the installation timestamp in there. This assumes you're using the SQLite registry (default for new installations in MacPorts 1.9.0 and up but not for old installations that were upgraded; see macports.conf).