Messed up Perl

Hal Vaughan hal at halblog.com
Mon Oct 4 21:32:04 PDT 2010

On Oct 5, 2010, at 12:17 AM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> Hal, so many words for a small issue. Decisions were made with the intent of serving the most people the way they expected to be served. There are but a handful of people trying to serve you here. Either contribute or not, up to you, but please just fix your PATH the way you like and let us move on.

1) Google the story on Winston Churchill and how long it'd take him to prep a 2 hour speech vs. a 5 minute speech.  You want it short?  Then give me 2-3 days to edit it.

2) I have fixed it, but notice that many points were brought up AFTER I had dealt with it and people have brought up issues connected with it.

3) A list like this is for dealing with issues on a particular software and often when dealing with one particular issue, it brings up bigger issues.  Note that most of the discussion has been between other people, so this topic is of concern to more people than just to me.

4) I have, as I pointed out, contributed to FOSS projects a number of times.  (Also in time, money, and helping users, which I didn't include.)  But, in all honesty, it's the STFU comments like this one that remind me why, even though I love the concept of FOSS, I've been moving away from it more and more and dealing with commercial programs where developers don't start adopting a "blame the user" attitude when a problem comes up.  Daniel was suggesting I get involved by filing bug reports.  It's responses like yours that are why I avoid that now days and have had less and less to do with FOSS.

Good day, Bradley.

Hal