Get rid of rsync on selfupdate

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 21 09:41:00 PDT 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 11:30, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:

> On running port selfupdate, it requires a rsync connection but
> my internal proxy doesn't allow it.
>
> So, the question is: How can I run selfupdate without using rsync?

There is no way to do so; selfupdate requires rsync, and sync uses it also by default.

You will find "Alternatives for syncing the ports tree without rsync" in the how-to pages:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto#HOWTOIndex

The alternative to running selfupdate is to manually install new releases of MacPorts using any of the usual methods:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/InstallingMacPorts#a4.InstallMacPorts