Using xorg-server port instead of Apple's X11.app

Alex Angas alexangas at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 12 16:00:54 PDT 2010

Hello,

I've just performed a clean installation of Snow Leopard and MacPorts 1.9.1.
I wanted to use the xorg-server port instead of Apple's X11 because
presumably the port will be more up-to-date. The "Installing MacPorts" page
at http://www.macports.org/install.php says "You can use the xorg-server
port instead of Apple's X11.app if you wish".

I therefore tried to install xorg-server and many packages were built, but
it failed on the mesa library. I logged a ticket (
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/26370 ) and it was marked a dupe where the
resolution is to ensure Apple's X11 is correctly installed (
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/25677 ).

So, is it possible to install the xorg-server port without having to install
Apple's X11?

Thanks for any assistance,

Alex.