Using xorg-server port instead of Apple's X11.app

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Sep 12 22:25:41 PDT 2010

On Sep 12, 2010, at 19:11, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2010, at 18:00, Alex Angas wrote:
>
>> I've just performed a clean installation of Snow Leopard and MacPorts 1.9.1. I wanted to use the xorg-server port instead of Apple's X11 because presumably the port will be more up-to-date. The "Installing MacPorts" page at http://www.macports.org/install.php says "You can use the xorg-server port instead of Apple's X11.app if you wish".
>>
>> I therefore tried to install xorg-server and many packages were built, but it failed on the mesa library. I logged a ticket ( http://trac.macports.org/ticket/26370 ) and it was marked a dupe where the resolution is to ensure Apple's X11 is correctly installed ( http://trac.macports.org/ticket/25677 ).
>>
>> So, is it possible to install the xorg-server port without having to install Apple's X11?
>
> Based on those tickets, I guess not.

I think I mentioned in the ticket that you don't need to install X11user.pkg (although doing so would fix the problem)... just create the /usr/lib/libXplugin.dylib symlink

> But once you install Apple's X11, and then the xorg-server port, you can use the X11.app that comes with the xorg-server port instead of the X11.app that comes with Apple's X11.
>
> Jeremy: Why can't we install MacPorts xorg without needing Apple's X11?

We can.  There are just a handful of edge cases where /usr/lib/libXplugin.dylib is not present due to a packaging problem.  It is a known issue being worked on.  You can either:

1) Make the symlink (sudo ln -s libXplugin.1.dylib /usr/lib/libXplugin.dylib)
2) Install the latest *combo* update
3) Install X11User.pkg from your installation media (of course you should then install the combo update anyways)

I'd recommend just making the symlink yourself.  This missing symlink is an isolated missing file and only occurs in rare edge cases (I believe isolated to when users reinstall their OS from the incorrect installation media and deselect X11 from custom).