py26-numpy install issues - ld: symbol(s) not found

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Thu Sep 30 11:38:48 PDT 2010

A few thoughts:

(1) Where does /usr/bin/gfortran come from?  There are a number of numpy tickets open (and closed) where this executable has been installed.  numpy's internal "configure" routines will discover it, and it causes issues.  Apple's XCode does not install a fortran executable, so it must be installed by a user.

(2) Try out the fix in ticket #24942 < https://trac.macports.org/ticket/24942 >.  It still has issues with the resulting 'f2py', but I think I know what to do -- just need a few hours to do it (hopefully Friday).

(3) an externally set LDFLAGS does override the internal definition just for the linalg module.  This is the only module that requires external fortran linking, and setting the external LDFLAGS causes the linking to fail in the way it does in your log file.  It's simple to patch the setup.py script for this module to include the correct link flags for Darwin.  Ideally, upstream would fix this issue, but until then using the simple patch works seems to work (as per the ticket).

Hope this helps! - MLD