gcc 4.6 port for OSX Lion

ENDERLIN Christophe c.enderlin at me.com
Fri Aug 5 03:30:06 PDT 2011

Le 5 août 2011 à 02:34, Brandon Allbery a écrit :

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 17:23, ENDERLIN Christophe <c.enderlin at me.com> wrote:
> I put everything back in /usr as it was before my modifications, and then, I tried the
> 'port select' command. Now, I can see that the correct links have actually been created in /opt/local/bin
> but the old ones in /usr/bin have not been deleted.
>
> This is normal, expected, and necessary; make sure /opt/local/bin is in $PATH before /usr/bin, do *not* remove or alter the ones in /usr/bin.  MacPorts doesn't modify them for the same reason you shouldn't:  non-MacPorts stuff will break.

Ok, so I put the links back as they were in /usr/bin and I checked that /opt/local/bin is before /usr/bin: it's ok.

> So, I get an error message when I try a command like 'gcc --version' which seems normal
> since I have two links with the same name. (one in /usr/bin and one in /opt/local/bin)
>
> --version will report the version of the one you ran, independent of any other version anywhere.  What error message are you getting?

Well, I don't get any error message now ... Maybe I made someting wrong yesterday, but now, everything is ok, with former links back into /usr/bin

> I had to remove those old links in /usr/bin so that everything works fine.
>
> Put them back; let's get this figured out correctly, do NOT break things by altering /usr/bin.

Ok, I've done that.
I think maybe the mistake I made yesterday is that I forgot to logoff/login after using port select.

Now all is ok.

> Ok thanks. Also, I don't know the difference there is between gcc, llvm-gcc and X86_64-apple-darwin11-gcc
>
> gcc is normal gcc.  llvm-gcc compiles to LLVM bytecode; this is handy for grid job managers which can relink LLVM executables for other platforms available in the grid, and for various optimizers that operate on LLVM bytecode.  (But if you're not familiar with LLVM then you can just ignore the whole thing.)  The final one is Apple's gcc for Xcode with various Xcode-specific optimizations and code generators.

Thanks for those answers. Actually, I don't know what LLVM is, but I understand the need of serveral kinds of compilers, now.

Thanks a lot !

Christophe