eigen3 install problems

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Tue Aug 9 06:30:53 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Brickle Macho <bricklemacho at gmail.com> wrote:
> % sudo port install -v eigen3
>
> I see it fails with the following extract from highlighting the error:
> ------
> /usr/local/bin/gfortran -L/opt/local/lib -arch x86_64 -pipe -O2 -m64
> CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testFortranCompiler.f.o -o cmTryCompileExec

CMake appears to be finding this (unexpected) gfortran... where did it
come from? (And is there anyone on the list familiar enough with CMake
(I'm not) to let me know how to prevent CMake from probing for this?)

> Figuring is some gfortran instal in /usr/local/bin, issue I try install
> gfortran from macports
>
> % sudo port install gcc46 +gfortran

That variant (per the portfile) is "completely untested" FWIW.

> This appears to install correctly, no errors. So I try to install
> eigen3, I clean it first just in case:
>
> % sudo port clean eigne3
> % sudo port -v install eigen3
>
> from the error message it appears to be macports gfortran but is still
> fails. Extract of verbose output follows:

You haven't told eigen3 (through a variant) to use a specific
compiler. There currently isn't a +gcc46 variant; try 'sudo port
install eigen3 +gcc45' -- or if you don't need the +cmake stuff or
+blas/+doc, just do 'sudo port install eigen3 -cmake' which will just
install the eigen3 headers.

Hope that helps!
 -Eric
--