port selfupdate fails

Andrew Long andrew.long at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 14:24:26 PDT 2011

I've followed the 'uninstall' instructions at mono-project.com (<grin>it isn't *really* a third party mono - it's in fact the one and truly original</grin> and the selfupdate and update outdated has indeed now completed.

> You don't need to install mono out of ports unless you want mono (macports base does not need it), and installing it out of ports won't solve the problem of the 3rd party libraries in /Library/Frameworks breaking the selfupdate build (you need to remove that directory as suggested above)...

The problem that I now have is to find out which application that, probably several years and several machines ago, caused me to need to install mono framework. But that isn't a problem for this list.

What I think *is* still a question that I an usefully address to the list is this:-

Assuming that I do still need mono for whichever application it was, or that I finally get around to learning .NET from my (seemingly endless) list of self-improvement projects, I can install the macports mono, mono-basic & mono-addins packages. WIll the standard mono development packages then sit happily on top of this? Or am I *still* going to have to struggle with building a universal version from the mono-project source? (which should get rid of the problem that selfupdate is having - only finding an x86 version of the sqlite libraries?)

Regards, Andy

--
Andrew Long
andrew dot long at yahoo dot com