remove old installations

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 1 18:30:14 PST 2011

On Dec 1, 2011, at 18:11, Roger Pack wrote:

> Maybe what it could do it warn when it's doing a "dirty" installation,
> so that it's clearer more quickly why something may have failed (i.e.
> you see
> $ port install xxx
> warning: installing over a previous installation
> fetch failed please check your log
>
> (it's more immediately obvious *why* the fetch may have failed).

That's an idea... we do certainly get dozens of tickets filed per week with main.logs attached that were not from clean build attempts, and are thus often useless, and we waste time explaining this to each reporter and ask them to clean and try again. My suggestion is that instead of always warning at the beginning of unclean builds (since the reason we allow unclean builds at all is that often they'll work just fine), we should modify the error message printed if an error does end up occurring after an unclean build. Currently we always print:

Log for foo is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_path_to_foo/foo/main.log
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

I claim we should print that only if it was a clean build. If it was not a clean build, we should print:

Log for foo is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_path_to_foo/foo/main.log
Clean and try again before considering reporting this as a bug.

This would also cut down on the so far 28 known duplicates of 29223, though we should really fix that properly as well.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29223