port make?

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Thu Dec 8 09:17:27 PST 2011

On Dec 8, 2011, at 9:04 AM, Roger Pack wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Jeremy Lavergne
> <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:
>>> Any help? (really my reason for writing this is "shouldn't there be a
>>> $ port make or shouldn't $ port build re-run it?
>>
>> You might become familiar with the various phases available:
>> http://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases
>> or the man page.
>>
>> Rather than going past all the phases and installing the package, you might consider completing only the phases before where you need the modify the package source code and then running the remainder.
>
> Good idea, thanks that helps.
> I guess it just surprises me a little bit when I run
> $ sudo port -s -k -f configure vlc
>
> and it doesn't actually configure.

Right, port keeps track of completed phases and does not re-run them. If "$ port destroot portname" failed at the "build" phase re-running "$ port destroot portname" will skip all phases before build. You will need to "$ port clean" or manually edit the port state file to have the "configure" phase execute.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)