port make?

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Thu Dec 8 11:53:47 PST 2011

On Dec 8, 2011, at 10:03 AM, Roger Pack wrote:

>>> $ sudo port -s -k -f configure vlc
>>>
>>> and it doesn't actually configure.
>>
>> Right, port keeps track of completed phases and does not re-run them. If "$ port destroot portname" failed at the "build" phase re-running "$ port destroot portname" will skip all phases before build. You will need to "$ port clean" or manually edit the port state file to have the "configure" phase execute.
>
> I would like to suggest a change then that "-f" force a
> reconfigure/remake etc.,

I am confused.

Reading man port:
     -f       force mode (ignore state file)

Yet a second run with -f produces:
$ sudo port -sdf configure mysql5-server 2>&1 | grep Skipping
$ sudo port -sdf configure mysql5-server 2>&1 | grep Skipping
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.fetch (mysql5-server)
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.checksum (mysql5-server)
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.extract (mysql5-server)
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.patch (mysql5-server)
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.configure (mysql5-server)

In what context is the state file being ignored?

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)