Request: make the ML's default return candidate be the ML

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:16:09 PST 2011

Fascinatingly, after following this advice of
http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html (which was
recommended in this thread)

"Some people complain that they'll get two copies of the same email.
Since they're on the list, their first copy is the one sent to them by
the list. When the responder hit "reply all", it also put their email
address in the recipient list, so they get a second copy directly. ...
the second message is a duplicate and can be safely ignored."

I did this in the last thread I participated in.
I hit "reply all" in gmail, it receives a "To:" field of the original
author, and a CC: field of the mailing list.  I think this is what the
above is saying is what we should do.

I then had 2 people respond back to me "hey don't do that, it causes
my inbox filters to fail and goes straight to my inbox inadvertenly!"

http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html  continues:

"If your mail reader doesn't do this, that's too bad, but it's not an
excuse to violate Internet standards and surprise people with
inconsistent behavior, just to prevent you from having to delete a few
emails. Anyone who gets any spam at all knows how to delete email."

So apparently...I'm supposed to just tell them they aren't compliant [?]
(In reality what I should send it back to the group as a "To"
field--does anybody know?  What do other gmail users out there do?)

Thanks!
-roger-