Request: make the ML's default return candidate be the ML

Lawrence Velázquez larry.velazquez at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:03:40 PST 2011

> I did this in the last thread I participated in.
> I hit "reply all" in gmail, it receives a "To:" field of the original
> author, and a CC: field of the mailing list.  I think this is what the
> above is saying is what we should do.

RFC 2822 and the pleas about "Reply-To" munging are aimed at people who write mailing list software or administer mailing lists and thus set the default reply behavior for everybody. How you as an individual participant choose to address your email is up to you.

> I then had 2 people respond back to me "hey don't do that, it causes
> my inbox filters to fail and goes straight to my inbox inadvertenly!"

These people need to make better filters.

> So apparently...I'm supposed to just tell them they aren't compliant [?]
> (In reality what I should send it back to the group as a "To"
> field--does anybody know?  What do other gmail users out there do?)

If you don't want to agitate these people, then just send to the mailing list. This is fine. No technical documents dictate how you should address your own email.

vq