build macport from src for i386

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 10 18:56:10 PST 2011

On Dec 10, 2011, at 20:31, Peter wrote:

>> The MacPorts binaries you get from our web site are universal: they're for all architectures.
>>
>> Why does it matter to you what architecture MacPorts itself is? I suspect what matters is what architecture MacPorts builds your ports for. That's controlled via the build_arch setting in the macports.conf file.
>
> what bothers me is that my third party lib is a 32 bit library.
> When I link with Macports library, it complains that it is a 64 bit library from macport and cannot be used to link with 32 bit library.

Unless the library you're talking about is part of MacPorts itself, it does not matter what architecture MacPorts itself is installed for.

> Based on hyour suggestion, I modified macports.conf to use i386, all lib in macport is now 32 bit.
> however, running the command "sudo port install scite", it will complain that
> "libintl.dylib, file was built for i386 which is not the architecture being linked (x86_64)"

Unfortunately the scite software does not use autoconf or cmake or Xcode or any other standard configuration system, so it does not support the build_arch setting of macports.conf out of the box, and nobody has modified the Portfile to retrofit this ability. You should file a bug report about this in the issue tracker.

> should I use "sudo port install scite --arch i386" or something similar?

No, there is no command you can run at the command line to fix this. The Portfile needs to be modified to support this.