universal variants on Lion

Dominik Reichardt domiman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 08:18:56 PST 2011

Am 18.12.2011 um 16:43 schrieb mark brethen <mbrethen at aim.com>:

> I couldn't get TeXmacs to build on lion (OS 10.7.2), so I tried with the universal variant, and all of a sudden Macports started replacing other ports with their universal variant. Will this cause any problems down the road?

When something doesn't build on MacPorts don't start trying put variants without knowing what it does.
Universal means (on Lion and SL) that MacPorts builds a 64 AND 32bit binary of the given port. Since the default on Lion is 64bit and that failed before you are very unlikely to get further with the universal variant. And since all dependencies need to be built universal as well you need to rebuilt every dependency in both arches (64 & 32 bit) as well.
There might be trouble with ports that don't build in 32bit anymore. I encountered some before - don't know if they are still a problem (and I don't remember which anyway).

Dom